I regularly publish my research in international peer-reviewed journals, and encourage and support my students to publish their theses and dissertation chapters. I have published in a broad variety of journals, servicing fields from geology and paleontology to biology and zoology, as well as a number of interdisciplinary science journals. PDFs of all these publications can be found on academia.edu and researchgate. You can also track my citations through my Google Scholar profile.
A number of my publications have been featured in international news sources; you can find a few examples here and here. My discovery of Pentecopterus, the oldest known eurypterid, made the Forbes 10 Most Incredible Fossil Finds of 2015. I also spoke about Pentecopterus on the Palaeocast podcast and to the BBC.
Where publications include contributions by students and lab members their names are italicized.
41. Lamsdell JC, Tashman JN, Pasini G, Garassino A. (in review). A new limulid (Chelicerata: Xiphosurida) from the Late Cretaceous (Cenomanian-Turonian) of Gara Sbaa, SE Morocco, NW Africa. Cretaceous Research.
40. Lamsdell JC. (in review). A chasmataspidid affinity for the putative xiphosuran Kiaeria Størmer, 1934 and a replacement name for the leperditicopid Kiaeria Glebovskaja, 1949. Paläontologische Zeitschrift.
39. Olive S, Pradel A, Martinez-Perez C, Janvier P, Lamsdell JC, Gueriau P, Rabet N, Duranleau-Gagnon P, Cardenas-Rozo AL, Zapata Ramirez PA, Botella H. (in press). New insights into Late Devonian vertebrates and associated fauna from the Cuche Formation (Floresta Massif, Colombia). Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology.
38. Lamsdell JC, Lagebro L, Edgecombe GD, Budd GE, Gueriau P. (in press). Stylonurine eurypterids from the Strud locality (Upper Devonian, Belgium): new insights into the ecology of freshwater sea scorpions. Geological Magazine.
37. Lamsdell JC. (in press). Evolutionary history of the dynamic horseshoe crab. International Wader Studies.
36. Lamsdell JC, Gunderson GO, Meyer RC. 2019. A common arthropod from the Late Ordovician Big Hill Lagerstätte (Michigan) reveals an unexpected ecological diversity within Chasmataspidida. BMC Evolutionary Biology 19 (8), 1–24. [pdf]
35. Plax DP, Lamsdell JC, Vrazo MB, Barbikov DV. 2018. A new genus of eurypterid (Chelicerata, Eurypterida) from the Upper Devonian salt deposits of Belarus. Journal of Paleontology 92, 838–849. [pdf]
34. Congreve CR, Falk AR, Lamsdell JC. 2018. Biological hierarchies and the nature of extinction. Biological Reviews 93, 811–826. [pdf]
33. Lamsdell JC, Marshall DJ, Briggs DEG. 2018. Hit and miss: (A comment on Persons and Acorn, "A sea scorpion's strike: new evidence of extreme lateral flexibility in the opisthosoma of eurypterids"). The American Naturalist 191, 352–354. [pdf]
32. Rubin M, Lamsdell JC, Prendini L, Hopkins MJ. 2017. Exocuticular hyaline layer of sea scorpions and horseshoe crabs suggests cuticular fluorescence is plesiomorphic in chelicerates. Journal of Zoology 303, 245-253. [pdf]
31. Lamsdell JC, Congreve CR, Hopkins MJ, Krug AZ, Patzkowsky ME. 2017. Phylogenetic Paleoecology: tree-thinking and ecology in deep time. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 32, 452–463. [pdf]
30. Dunlop JA, Lamsdell JC. 2017. Segmentation and tagmosis in Chelicerata. Arthropod Structure and Development 46, 395–418. [pdf]
29. Lamsdell JC, LoDuca ST, Gunderson GO, Meyer RC, Briggs DEG. 2017. A new Lagerstätte from the Late Ordovician Big Hill Formation, Upper Peninsula, Michigan. Journal of the Geological Society 174, 18–22. [pdf]
28. Lamsdell JC, Selden PA. 2017. From success to persistence: identifying an evolutionary regime shift in the diverse Paleozoic aquatic arthropod group Eurypterida, driven by the Devonian biotic crisis. Evolution 71, 95–110. [pdf]
27. Lamsdell JC, Briggs DEG. 2017. The first diploaspidid (Chelicerata: Chasmataspidida) from North America (Silurian, Bertie Group, New York State) is the oldest species of Diploaspis. Geological Magazine 154, 175–180. [pdf]
26. McCoy VE, Saupe EE, Lamsdell JC, Tarhan LG, McMahon S, Lidgard S, Mayer P, Whalen CD, Soriano C, Finney L, Vogt S, Clark EG, Anderson RP, Petermann H, Locatelli ER, Briggs DEG. 2016. The Tully Monster is a vertebrate. Nature 252, 496–499. [pdf]
25. Congreve CR, Lamsdell JC. 2016. Implied weighting and its utility in palaeontological datasets: a study using modelled phylogenetic matrices. Palaeontology 59, 447–462. [pdf]
24. Lamsdell JC. 2016. Horseshoe crab phylogeny and independent colonisations of freshwater: ecological invasion as a driver for morphological innovation. Palaeontology 59, 181–194. [pdf]
23. Lamsdell JC, Briggs DEG, Liu HP, Witzke BJ, McKay RM. 2015. A new Ordovician arthropod from the Winneshiek Lagerstätte of Iowa reveals the ground plan of eurypterids and chasmataspidids. The Science of Nature 102 (63), 1–8. [pdf]
22. Lamsdell JC, Briggs DEG, Liu HP, Witzke BJ, McKay RM. 2015. The oldest described eurypterid: a giant Middle Ordovician (Darriwilian) megalograptid from the Winneshiek Lagerstätte of Iowa. BMC Evolutionary Biology 15 (169), 1–31. [pdf]
21. McCoy VE, Lamsdell JC, Poschmann M, Anderson RP, Briggs DEG. 2015. All the better to see you with: eyes and claws reveal the evolution of divergent ecological roles in giant pterygotid eurypterids. Biology Letters 11 (20150564), 1–4. [pdf]
20. Lamsdell JC, McKenzie SC. 2015. Tachypleus syriacus (Woodward) – a sexually dimorphic Cretaceous crown limulid reveals underestimated horseshoe crab divergence times. Organisms Diversity & Evolution 15, 681–693. [pdf]
19. Selden PA, Lamsdell JC, Liu Q. 2015. An unusual xiphosuran linking horseshoe crabs and eurypterids, from the Lower Devonian (Lochkovian) of Yunnan, China. Zoologica Scripta 44, 645–652. [pdf]
18. Lamsdell JC, Selden PA. 2015. Phylogenetic support for the monophyly of proetide trilobites. Lethaia 48, 375–386. [pdf]
17. Marshall DJ, Lamsdell JC, Shpinev E, Braddy SJ. 2014. A diverse chasmataspidid (Arthropoda: Chelicerata) fauna from the Early Devonian (Lochkovian) of Siberia. Palaeontology 57, 631–655. [pdf]
16. Lamsdell JC, Stein M, Selden PA. 2013. Kodymirus and the case for convergence of raptorial appendages in Cambrian arthropods. Naturwissenschaften 100, 811–825. [pdf]
15. Lamsdell JC, Simonetto L, Selden PA. 2013. First eurypterid from Italy: a new species of Adelophthalmus (Chelicerata: Eurypterida) from the Upper Carboniferous of the Carnic Alps (Friuli, NE Italy). Rivista Italiana di Paleontologia e Stratigrafia 119, 147–151. [pdf]
14. Lamsdell JC, Selden PA. 2013. Babes in the wood – a unique window into sea scorpion ontogeny. BMC Evolutionary Biology 13 (98), 1–46. [pdf]
13. Lamsdell JC, Percival IG, Poschmann M. 2013. The problematic ‘chelicerate’ Melbournopterus crossotus Caster & Kjellesvig-Waering: a case of mistaken identity. Alcheringa 37, 344–348. [pdf]
12. Lamsdell JC, Xue J-Z, Selden PA. 2013. A horseshoe crab (Arthropoda: Chelicerata: Xiphosura) from the Lower Devonian (Lochkovian) of Yunnan, China. Geological Magazine 150, 367–370. [pdf]
11. Lamsdell JC. 2013. Redescription of Drepanopterus pentlandicus Laurie 1892, the earliest known mycteropoid (Chelicerata: Eurypterida) from the early Silurian (Llandovery) of the Pentland Hills, Scotland. Earth and Environmental Science Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 103, 77–103. [pdf]
10. Lamsdell JC. 2013. Revised systematics of Palaeozoic ‘horseshoe crabs’ and the myth of monophyletic Xiphosura. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 167, 1–27. [pdf]
9. Lamsdell JC, Hoşgör İ, Selden PA. 2013. A new Ordovician eurypterid (Arthropoda: Chelicerata) from southeast Turkey: evidence for a cryptic Ordovician record of Eurypterida. Gondwana Research 23, 354–366. [pdf]
8. Dunlop JA, Lamsdell JC. 2012. Nomenclatural notes on the eurypterid family Carcinosomatidae. Zoosystematics and Evolution 88, 19–24. [pdf]
7. Lamsdell JC. 2011. The eurypterid Stoermeropterus conicus from the lower Silurian Pentland Hills, Scotland. Monograph of the Palaeontolographical Society, London 165, 1–84, pls 1–15. [pdf]
6. Lomax DR, Lamsdell JC, Ciurca Jr. SJ. 2011. A collection of eurypterids from the Silurian of Lesmahagow collected pre 1900. Geological Curator 9, 331–348. [pdf]
5. Lamsdell JC, Legg DA. 2010. An isolated pterygotid ramus (Chelicerata: Eurypterida) from the Devonian Beartooth Butte Formation, Wyoming. Journal of Paleontology 84, 1206–1208. [pdf]
4. Lamsdell JC, Braddy SJ, Loeffler EJ, Dineley DL. 2010. Early Devonian stylonurine eurypterids from Arctic Canada. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 47, 1405–1415. [pdf]
3. Lamsdell JC, Braddy SJ, Tetlie OE. 2010. The systematics and phylogeny of the Stylonurina (Arthropoda: Chelicerata: Eurypterida). Journal of Systematic Palaeontology 8, 49–61. [pdf]
2. Lamsdell JC, Braddy SJ. 2010. Cope’s Rule and Romer’s theory: Patterns of diversity and gigantism in eurypterids and Palaeozoic vertebrates. Biology Letters 6, 265–269. [pdf]
1. Lamsdell JC, Braddy SJ, Tetlie OE. 2009. Redescription of Drepanopterus abonensis (Chelicerata: Eurypterida: Stylonurina) from the Late Devonian of Portishead, UK. Palaeontology 52, 1113–1139. [pdf]